Most purchasers of a BMW assume they are getting a German made product. Most non-enthusiasts do not realize that their vehicle may have been produced in the US or several other locations outside of the “fatherland “. Dealers are able to identify the production location of a specific car within their allocation but this is not always revealed to the customer. It will however be stated on the window sticker when it is delivered.
Until recently US bound 335i sedans were solely built in Germany but due impart to the weakness of the dollar and ramp up in production of the 1 series coupe,production has begun to join the 328i sedan in Roslyn, South Africa. The Roslyn plant has won several awards for its quality so it is by no means a substandard product. This move in production is not indicated for other models within the 3 range.
Currently, US bound cars are produced at 6 BMW facilities around the globe and 1 model is out-sourced. Factories may produce specific models, variants or a variety of each. Additional facilities produce cars for other markets outside of the US.
- Dingolfing- Vehicles of the BMW 5, 6 and 7 Series as well as M5 and M6 are completely manufactured here. The almost entirely hand made bodies for the Rolls-Royce Phantom are also produced here.
- Leipzig- The newest plant within the family produces the BMW 3 Series Sedan and since late 2007 the 1 series (specifics are hard to find on which variant and if for US).
- Munich- This facility produces the BMW 3 Series as Sedan and Touring (including some all wheel drive XI models). Many of the engines are also assembled here. US bound 6, 8, and 12-cylinder engines. //M performance engines are also built here for the M3, M5 and M6. Future US bound diesel engines are to be manufactured here as well.
- Regensburg- BMW produces the US 1 series and the 3 series coupes and convertibles only here. Other 3 series variants are also produced here including XI models (possible X1).The successor of the Z4 will reportedly also be manufactured here keeping all the coupes and convertibles under one roof.
Outside of Germany
- Roslyn, South Africa- 75% of the cars produced here are exported outside of the country, many of these are US bound. In addition to the 328i sedan, the 335i sedan has begun being produced here and transported stateside.
- Spartanburg, USA- Recently updated, this single line factory produces the X5 and Z4. When the X6 reaches production status it will be built here as well. The next generation X3 will join the other “X ” models here along with the proposed X1 (which may be built in Germany, sources are unclear).
- Graz, Austria (Magna Steyr)- The X3 is manufactured under contract by Magna Steyr for BMW here.