Today is a special day because (for only the fifth time ever) BMW has taken the wraps off of a new M5. As we reported yesterday (thanks to the leak) the F10 M5 features a 560 hp twin turbo V8 that is a slightly updated version of the X5M and X6M ‘s engine. However it ‘s the total package that has us impressed.
The new M5 featured a M Double Clutch transmission that (with launch control) goes from 0-62 in 4.4 seconds. And with the M Driver ‘s package the new car can do 190 mph on un-restricted roads. Then there ‘s the torque vectoring predictive rear differential that helps the car stay glued to the road (and explains why it almost looked all-wheel drive while testing at the ‘Ring last year.
But enough of why we love it. Let ‘s take a look at the official information at stats starting with the highlights and followed by the full PDF press release.
– Fifth generation of the world’s most successful high-performance saloon in the premium segment of the executive class; new BMW M5 is an exceptionally dynamic high-performance sports car with four doors and five seats; consistentfurther development of the vehicle concept initiated in 1984 with the first-generation BMW M5; compelling track potential combines with the comprehensive practicality of a luxurious business saloon; groundbreaking character headlined by significantly improved efficiency, supreme long-distance comfort, and innovative driver assistance systems and infotainment functions.
World premiere of a newly developed BMW M high-performance engine: high-revving 4.4-litre V8 engine with M TwinPower Turbo package – consisting of Twin Scroll Twin Turbo technology, cross-bank exhaust manifold, High Precision Injection petrol direct injection and VALVETRONIC fully variable valve control; 412 kW/560 hp at 6,000 – 7,000 rpm, maximum torque: 680 Newton metres (502 lb-ft) from 1,500 rpm; lag-free power delivery, typical M car thrust.
Official gallery after the break…
– Significantly improved balance between performance and fuel consumption: acceleration 0–100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.4 seconds,
– 0–200 km/h (124 mph) in 13.0 seconds, top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph (305 km/h / 190 mph with M Driver’s Package); average fuel consumption in EU test cycle: 9.9 litres/100 km (28.5 mpg imp); engine output 10 per cent up on predecessor model, maximum torque increased by 30 per cent, fuel consumption cut by more than 30 per cent; extensive Efficient Dynamics technology, including Auto Start-Stop function and Brake Energy Regeneration.
– Power transfer to the rear wheels via the seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission Drivelogic; traction-optimised automatic gear selection; Launch Control; Low Speed Assistance; automatically activated parking mode; M-specific gear selector; M leather steering wheel with shift paddles. Hallmark M conceptual harmony produces superior performance characteristics with precise interplay of drive and chassis technology, aerodynamics and weight balance; power-to-weight ratio: 3.3 kg (approx. 7 lb)/hp; M-specific suspension (front and rear axle kinematics), M Servotronic steering, Dynamic Damper Control, DSC stability control system including M Dynamic Mode; bodyshell mounting using special panels; lightweight compound high-performance braking system.
– Outstandingly agile handling thanks to innovative rear axle differential with Active M Differential; electronically controlled multi-plate limited-slip differential enables fully variable distribution of drive between the rear wheels to optimise traction and stability in dynamic lane change manoeuvres and acceleration out of corners; degree of lock can be varied between 0 and 100 per cent according to the situation; fast, precise and pre-emptive responses thanks to constant data cross-checking between the Active M Differential and DSC stability control system, and monitoring of the accelerator pedal position, wheel speed and yaw rate.
– Two individually configured set-ups for the car can be called up using the new M Drive buttons on the steering wheel; range of programmable parameters unique in the segment: accelerator responses, M Servotronic responses, Drivelogic shift program, DSC mode, Dynamic Damper Control and information in the Head-Up Display.
– Characteristic body design with familiar M aesthetics reflecting the car’s extremely dynamic yet precisely controllable nature; specific design features contributing to performance characteristics; front apron with extremely large air intakes for the engine and brakes; athletically flared wheel arches to emphasise wide track; hallmark M “gills” with integrated indicator bars; aerodynamically optimised rear apron with diffuser between the right and left-hand pair of twin exhaust tailpipes; gurney-style rear spoiler on the boot lid; 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in exclusive double-spoke design.
– Unique combination of sports car cockpit and luxurious ambience for the interior; M-specific instrument cluster in black-panel technology; newly designed, leather-covered centre console; M sports seats; standard specification also includes: Merino leather upholstery with extended features, exclusive Aluminium Trace interior trim strips, BMW Individual roof liner in Anthracite, electrically operated steering column adjustment, four-zone automatic climate control and ambient light.
– Extensive range of driver assistance systems and mobility services from BMW ConnectedDrive unmatched by competitors in this segment and beyond: M-specific Head-Up Display (standard), Adaptive Headlights for standard xenon light, High-Beam Assistant, BMW Night Vision with pedestrian recognition, Lane Change Warning System, Lane Departure Warning System, Surround View, Speed Limit Info, internet usage, extended integration of smartphones and music players, real-time traffic information and apps for receiving Web Radio and using Facebook and Twitter.
Almost all BMW 5 Series Saloon equipment options available, including Comfort Access, M multifunction seats, active seats, doors with Soft Close Automatic function, hands-free tailgate opening, electric glass roof, trailer coupling.
Full Gallery[nggallery id=83]
Specifications and performance
– V8 petrol engine, M TwinPower Turbo technology with Twin Scroll Twin Turbo, cross-bank exhaust manifold, High Precision Injection direct injection and VALVETRONIC variable valve control.
– Displacement: 4,395 cc, output: 412 kW/560 hp at 6,000 – 7,000 rpm, max. torque: 680 Nm (502 lb-ft) at 1,500 – 5,750 rpm.
– Acceleration 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph): 4.4 seconds, acceleration 0 – 200 km/h (124 mph): 13.0 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h / 155 mph (305 km/h / 190 mph with M Driver’s Package).
– Average fuel consumption: 9.9 litres/100 kilometres (28.5 mpg imp), CO2 emissions: 232 g/km, exhaust standard: EU5.