Our favorite BMW public insider Scott26 has struck again, this time giving us the latest on BMW ‘s plans for the future of the small car line-up for the brand. And despite what some of you might think, it doesn ‘t include all front wheel drive models.The basis for this expansion will be the 1 Series, 2 Series, M2, Z1, Z2, X2 models on the BMW side and of course the entire MINI range. Between all of it, BMW hopes to have projected sales of over two million units.
Here ‘s Scott ‘s preview…
The majority of these sales will be from the MINI/BMW UKL architecture projected at 600,000 units. Then you have another large number of dedicated SAV sales before we get to the regular series models. As I have said before welcome to the automobile industry.
It is easy for the question “if I was in charge this what I would do? ” But today you have to take in consideration of growing segments , established segments , established markets , new markets and exploiting new niche ‘s. Something BMW is well adapt in.
The rise of the compact premium car is effectively down to current situations. Why are mainstream volume manufacturers struggling in europe when Premium compact cars from Premium manufacturers are creating growth? Nearly twenty years ago we something similar in the executive side of the market , Premium manufacturers wiped out mainstream manufacturers market share practically overnight.
Potentially a similar act can happen again.
MINI currently has a razor-thin profit margin on the standard car , where BMW makes its money with MINI is in the purchase of specific packages and extended personalisation. The next MINI launched next summer will not only help MINI make money off of personalisation , but the car will become more profitable for the first time in its life span. Modern car making is now down to cost and sharing modular architecture provides a cost-effective option.
Individuality is the key to distinguish the BMW from the MINI. Which is why the BMW Active Tourer Concept and its sister car the MINI Traveller which will be seen very soon are effectively the same car but you will never know it everything that should be BMW is BMW and everything that is MINI is MINI. From the design , switchear and even how the car acts the brief was always about distinguishing one brand from another.
If you take the example here. The artist understands the DNA aspect and that a 3dr and 5dr hatch will be coming to rival the Audi A1. That car is derived from the Active Tourer but his its own appearance that benefits its premium entry status. with the proprtions shrunk this render minus the front shows the outline and surfacing of the hatch and it is just not a MINI re-badged with a BMW badge.
To provide greater economies of scale A FWD BMW sedan will become part of the new BMW FWD family. Expanding BMW ‘s entry sporthatch to include a sedan variant aimed at markets for rising sales of small sedans.
As BMW announced recently that up to 11 models could appear from BMW on the UKL architecture with MINI, providing better profits and increased global sales for the small cars division.
The FWD BMW/MINI UKL Family as Currently Planned
- BMW 1 Series Urbanic Compact 3/5dr – Upcoming City hatch based on next MINI, BMW ‘s Audi A1 rival.
- MINI 3/5dr – Increased demand leads to the next generation MINI due next year with five drs for the 1st time.
- BMW 1 Series Sedan – Baby sedan off the UKL architecture aimed at global markets for small sedans. MINI Sedan – Sporty four dr MINI aimed at increasing markets for MINI products, potentially could be MINI ‘s best global seller overtaking the Countryman.
- BMW 1 Series Active Tourer – Production version of Active Tourer Concept launched at Iaa 2013. MINI Traveller – MINI variant of the Active Tourer. Designed to show how both cars can co-exist with individual style and flexibility.
- BMW 1 Series Urbanic Roadster – BMW ‘s open top variant of the City car inherits two seats only with a rear deck with layed butresses like the BMW 6er Cabrio and BMW i8 designed for clip on roof panel. MINI Cabrio – Latest F56 rendition of the popular open top MINI.
- BMW Z1 Sportster – To provide greater economies of scale The Z1 will be BMW ‘s equivalent to the MINI Coupe and Roadster , but will be FWD and powered by more powerful three cylinder engines. Design derived from well-received 2011 Vision ConnectedDrive concept car.
- MINI Roadster – Next Roadster and Coupe will launch with a sportier look which is completely seperate from the standard MINI. MINI design elements will feature but bodywork is not based on the hatch family.
- BMW Z1 SportCoupe – Coupe version of the Z1 will complete the BMW Z twins against the MINI twins. MINI Coupe – Coupe version of Roadster , more individual in appearance.
- BMW X1 – Next generation of highly successful SAV moves to the UKL architecture to offer more flexibility. Also available with xDrive.
- MINI Countryman – Next generation of the global MINI juggernaut. heavily shared with BMW X1.
- BMW X2 – Sport Activity Coupe variant of the next BMW X1 , FWD with optional xDrive and the first BMW SAC to appear as both a 3dr and 5dr.
- MINI Paceman/XL – Next generation of new MINI member will be offered with five dr version as well as 3dr.
- BMW F.amily A.ctivity S.ports T.ourer – BMW ‘s hybrid of SAV solidity , MPV space and Touring bodystyle.
- MINI Clubman – Current car revisited with more style and more flexibility , more of a Shooting Brake with dynamic raked roof and forward looking proportions.
And of course the next generation 1 Series due in 2017 will resort to being FWD.
The RWD Compact Family
- BMW 2 Series Coupe – Coupe version of the 1er hatch. Unique front and rear style , with more sleeker rounded roof but still compact proportions. Premieres IAA 2013.
- BMW 2 Series Cabrio – Cabrio version continues unique appearance of the Coupe , retains soft-top.
- BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe – 4dr addition of 2er Coupe with slightly lengthened wheelbase and roof line, aimed at BMW ‘s RWD dominance against Audi A3 Sedan and Mercedes-Benz CLA. [More Details]
- BMW 2 Series Gran Sports Tourer – Hyundai Veloster type A-symmetrical Tourer Coupe inspired by classic 2002 Touring variant, has many admirers in Munich.
- BMW M2 Coupe – Successor to the BMW 1er M Coupe continues the same formula that made the last car be memorable, no huge competitor in the HP race , four cylinder will bring less weight , which matter most as does more enjoyment and overall feel is considered to be more of a priority than who has the biggest numbers.
- BMW M2 Gran Coupe – Baby Coupe inherits a four door brother – 340 HP , Four doors and RWD , Direct competitor to the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG.