Released earlier this week in the form of a dealer bulletin, BMW NA is making some subtle tweaks and upgrades to the current line-up as well as a pretty heft change to the way their free maintenance program works.
– The memory button for the electric seat settings is now marked with “SET” instead of “M.”
All models except Z4 Roadster:
– When equipped with Navigation, an advanced version of Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI; option 6AM) provides a new function. Additional route suggestions are offered, highlighted by a “globe” icon in the NAV screen. This is especially helpful when traveling in heavy traffic situations such as rush hour.
2 Series, Z4 Roadster:
– The standard-equipment new generation Radio BMW Professional is now equipped with 3G functionality.
All models equipped with optional heated steering wheel (option 248):
– An activation symbol now appears in the instrument cluster. This feature allows the driver to immediately notice if the heating is active, without having to look to the activation switch on the left side of the steering column.
228i; 3 Series (except M3), 4 Series (except M4), 5 Series:
– For improved legibility, the time display in the instrument cluster has been relocated from the center to the bottom right, under the tachometer.
2, 3, 4 Series:
– Servotronic power steering can now be configured using the Dynamic Driving Control toggle switch on the center console, separately from the existing chassis and drivetrain settings.
– When equipped with optional navigation and in combination with automatic transmission, predictive gearshift strategy (shift recommendation indicator) is displayed using navigation data when the transmission is being driven in the manual mode.
– Radio on/off/volume control knob now has imprinted “ON/OFF” (does not pertain to M3 and M4).
– 2 Series with optional M Sport package (option code 337): Low-dust brake pads (non-asbestos organic [NAO]) are fitted, except when equipped with the optional Sport Brake Package.
Maintenance Program Changes
For model year 2015 or later vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, BMW Maintenance Program coverage is provided for the exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a new vehicle, sales demonstrator vehicle, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP) vehicle, or BMW Group company vehicle from an authorized BMW center in the United States (including Puerto Rico). Accordingly, BMW Maintenance Program coverage, with one exception, is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. The sole exception to the non-transferability of BMW Maintenance Program coverage is that household transfers – transfers within the United States (including Puerto Rico) to members of the household of the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a BMW vehicle from an authorized BMW center – will not terminate BMW Maintenance Program coverage. Household transfers are limited solely to transfers to a current or former spouse or spousal equivalent, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, or grandchild from the initial purchaser, owner, or lessee of a vehicle. In the event of a household transfer, purchasers, owners, or lessees of a BMW vehicle should promptly advise their authorized BMW center to document and confirm the household transfer for purposes of BMW Maintenance Program coverage. The payoff of a loan on a vehicle by the initial purchaser and the purchase of a leased vehicle by the initial lessee are not considered transfers for purposes of BMW Maintenance Program coverage.
The BMW Maintenance Program covers all factory recommended maintenance as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system. Additional specific items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty – such as brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts – are included, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits. Any applicable adjustments required due to normal operating conditions are also included.
Exclusions from coverage include the following:
Items reimbursable under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Gasoline and diesel fuel
Gasoline and diesel fuel additive
Diesel glow plugs
Diesel particulate filter
Windshield washer additive (except when in conjunction with scheduled maintenance)
Tires, wheel alignment, tire balance and rotation
Parking brake shoes/linings
Reset Tire Pressure Monitor
Wear and tear of soft trim items, such as: seats, carpets, moldings, headliner, door panels and all chrome trim
Damage, including consequential, which results from negligence, improper operation of the vehicle, wear and tear or deterioration due to driving habits or conditions, improper repair, environmental influences, flood, accident or fire damage, road salt corrosion, alteration, installation of non-genuine BMW accessories, or use of improper, poor quality or contaminated fuel
Altered or unreadable Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or odometer irregularities or vehicles where the true mileage cannot be determined
Maintenance or repair after the vehicle is deemed a total loss
Maintenance or repairs performed by other than an authorized BMW center within the United States or Puerto Rico
‘Topping off’ low fluids (e.g., engine oil, antifreeze, washer fluid, etc.) except when done in conjunction with a scheduled maintenance or other required maintenance work (as outlined in the customized maintenance checklist printout) that is performed during an applicable Maintenance Program period
Vehicles used in competitive events
Oil changes performed outside the recommended maintenance intervals as indicated by the Condition Based Service
Any other vehicle-specific exclusions described in the Service and Warranty Booklet included with the vehicle