According to a couple of tipsters BMW has quietly let dealers know that there will be a special M2 Performance Edition (ZL9) offered for 2017 with some key M Performance accessories. The theme appears to be back to basics with it being offering in Alpine White and available with a manual only. Along with that the M2 Performance Edition will also reportedly get manual bucket seats – that drop weight measurably. Here’s the full list of options and/changes in the package:
- Manually adjustable sport seats without heat or lumbar.
- Basic keyless entry, without comfort access
- Single zone automatic climate control
- HiFi audio system, in place of Harman Kardon audio.
- Removal of the smoker’s package
- Addition of black mirror caps
Then it gets really interesting. BMWNA is including a number of M Performance accessories with the package:
- M Performance exhaust
- M Performance suspension (coil-overs)
- M Performance carbon fiber pieces
- Titanium Exhaust tips
- Black Kidney Grilles
- Black side gills
- M Performance illuminated door sill
- LED door projectors with “Performance Edition”
- M Drivers Package
Reportedly the sum of the weight savings should be around 50 lbs. The reduction in weight combined with the completely new suspension should make this M2 a much more focused track weapon than any BMW outside of the M4 GTS
According to insiders we expect BMW to limit the production of the model to 150 units and the MSRP to be $61,695. That means if you’re at all interested you might want to make a call to your BMW dealer… today. If you miss out however, don’t worry. The BMW M2 CS should be coming next year.