We ‘ll be hearing (and seeing) much more about the 1 Series based ActiveE in the coming days but for now BMW has released its first commercial for the new car (complete with stylish German grandparents). For more technical info on the ActiveE, check out some highlights of the car and the technology behind the program after the jump.
– Concept study of a purely electrically powered model based on the BMW 1 Series Coupé. The BMW Concept ActiveE represents a consistent continuation of the research and development activities of the BMW Group relating to electromobility as part of project i. A concept which realizes CO2-free mobility in BMW style is presented.
– The BMW Concept ActiveE is the BMW Group’s second vehicle after the MINI E to be developed as part of project i. After the successful launch of the pilot project MINI E, the BMW Group announces the development of another field test of electric vehicles for private and selected fleet users. The aim is to test the use of electric drive for everyday purposes in a vehicle which offers the driving pleasure which is characteristic of BMW automobiles.
– The specific features of the BMW Concept ActiveE include rear-wheel drive as is characteristic of BMW, a powerful drive system for dynamic acceleration maneuvers and a high level of efficiency to enable the vehicle to be used for purposes which go beyond urban mobility.
– The vehicle concept also comprises an extended range of functions with a high level of practical relevance. The intelligent arrangement of the drive components makes it possible to provide four full-size seats and a luggage compartment volume of some 200 liters (7 cubic feet).
– On the way to achieving CO2-free mobility, the BMW Group continues to develop electric drive as an additional mainstay of BMW EfficientDynamics. Electric drive provides an additional option for a lasting form of individual mobility alongside the ongoing optimization of all models with a pure combustion engine, the market launch of BMW ActiveHybrid technology in serial production vehicles and the BMW Hydrogen 7 as evidence of the suitability of hydrogen drive for everyday use.
– The BMW Concept ActiveE is based on the BMW 1 Series Coupe. It embodies a new interpretation of the agility which is characteristic of the 1 Series. For the first time, CO2-free mobility and the driving pleasure characteristic of BMW are combined for up to four vehicle occupants in an electric vehicle concept.
– There is a clearly recognizable differentiation from the serial production model of the BMW 1 Series Coupe with the body finish in Liquid White metallic, as well as graphic elements derived from printed circuits in Electric Blue on the hood, doors, roof and trunk lid, as well as the lettering “ActiveE”, “eDrive” and “EfficientDynamics” on the doors and side panels. Specific light-alloy wheel wheels, the lack of an exhaust system and blue illuminated elements such as the roof fin and charging connection highlight the special character of this electrically powered concept vehicle.
– The interior of the BMW Concept ActiveE includes specific leather seats with embossed graphic elements and blue accentuated seams as well as interior strips in Liquid White with rear-lit three-dimensional graphics. The instrument panel and the central display have been enhanced to include display items specific to electric drive. The use of innovative remote functions as part of BMW ConnectedDrive is shown with the example of a smartphone connection which is fully linked into the vehicle infotainment system.