Despite both the 5 Series and the 5 Series GT being introduced very recently, BMW of North America is adding a number of options and tweaking a few details of the cars for 2011 (production starting in September).
5 Series xDrive
First is the availability of two new sedan models, the 535i xDrive and 550i xDrive priced at $51,900 and $62,000 respectively. For the GT BMw is adding the 535i xDrive at a base price of $58,300 completing the 5 Series Gran Turismo product offering. The equipment profile is the same as the 535i rear wheel drive model however Integral Active Steering (2VH) is not available.
5 Series sedan M Sport Package
The M Sport Package (ZMP) returns to the 5 Series delivering performance and style for the most enthusiastic of BMW drivers. The package starts where the Dynamic Handling Package leaves off but brings a number of M style visual cues. They are: The M Aerodynamic Kit for a sportier and aggressive look, M Steering Wheel for the best ergonomic grip, Aluminum Hexagon interior trim (wood available), and to finalize the look are the M double-spoke light alloy wheels (size 18” on the 528i and 19” on the 535i, 550i, 535i xDrive, and 550i xDrive – RWD models offer performance run-flat tires and xDrive models offer all-season run flat tires).
Equipment and Price Updates
The following optional equipment updates are available as of MY11 (these are just the additions – everything that was part of each package is still there):
Camera Package (ZCE)
– $1,200 Rear-view camera (3AG)
– Side and top view cameras (5DL)
Sports Package (ZSP) $2,200
– Addition of option 840 Increased top speed limiter
– xDrive models will have the same contents as their rear wheel drive counterparts including wheel style with the exception of the tires. Rear wheel drive models come with run flat performance tires on the 19” wheel and xDrive models receive run flat all-season tires. Both 8 Cylinder models have the upgrade option for 20” style 316 which are only offered with mixed performance tires for $1,000.
Priority 1 Changes: The following have been moved to Priority 1
– Luxury Seating Package (ZLU)
– Nappa Leather (NA)
Gas Guzzler Tax Currently there is no Gas Guzzler tax for any Model Year 2011 5 Series Gran Turismo model. This eliminates the Gas Guzzler tax on vehicles that have been wholesaled after June 24, 2010.
Instrument Cluster Upgrade The top instrument cluster that is included with navigation will be included on non-navigation vehicles. This increases the size of the electronic portion of the display from 5.7” to 9.2”, improves the graphic detail presented, and enhances the functionality by increasing the amount of information that can be displayed.